Substitute Teacher Training Program
Some counties do not hire Policy 5202 substitute teachers. Please be sure to verify information with the county in which you primarily want to work. Completion of the Substitute Teacher training is only one step in the process for employment as a substitute teacher in West Virginia public schools. Applicants must work with a local school district to complete additional requirements.
COMPLETION OF THE SUBSTITUTE TEACHER TRAINING PROVIDED BY RESA 1 DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY RESULT IN THE ISSUANCE OF A VALID CERTIFICATE TO SUBSTITUTE TEACH IN WEST VIRGINIA.
The next RESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training Course will be conducted on Tuesday September 12th and Wednesday September 13th, 2017 from 8:30 - 3:30 daily at Raleigh County Schools Auxiliary Building (Old Sylvia Elementary School) 2001 South Kanawha Street, Beckley WV, 25801. Deadline to register for this course is Monday, August 21, 2017. Remember, you must be on a school district's referral list to register for this course.
Due to budget constraints, please note the price increase of the class to $100.00.
Steps for registering for the course:
- Contact the Personnel Director at the county board of education office where you would like to substitute teach.
- The county personnel director will send in your name to the RESA 1 office as a candidate to be trained/recertified. Then, you will receive information from RESA 1 that you have been referred for the program.
- Complete the RESA 1 registration form and send it, along with a $100.00 registration fee to:LaDawn Mitchem
c/o RESA 1 - Substitute Certification
400 Neville Street
Beckley, WV 25801
- Upon receipt of your registration information, you will receive an email confirming your registration.
- The RESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training Program consists of two days of face-to-face training with mandatory attendance.
All applicants for the RESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training Program must meet the following requirements as outlined by State Policy 5202. Applicant must: have already obtained a bachelor's degree from an accredited higher education institution, have maintained a minimum 2.0 GPA in college, possess US citizenship and must reside and/or plan to work in a RESA 1 county.
- Program Communication
- A valid email address is required to participate in the RESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training Program. Communication with the Program Coordinator relies on email communication to properly monitor participant progress. Applicants must check their email regularly while enrolled.
- Background Check
- RESA 1 is not required to run a background check on any participants in the RESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training Program. Upon application at a county board of education, every applicant will be subject to a background check. This check could result in the denial of an applicant's state substitute permit. Successful completion of the RESA 1 Training Program does not guarantee employment at a county board of education.
- Refund Policy
- The registration fee, less a $10 handling fee, will be refunded upon written request within the first 5 business days of RESA 1 receiving the registration information AND only if the participant has NOT accessed the online course work for the program. After the initial 5-day period following registration passes, a refund WILL NOT be granted even if the online material was not accessed. There will be a $20.00 service charge on all returned checks.
- Important Hiring Message
- Once hired by a county board of education, your initial substitute training certificate is good for three (3) years and it will expire on June 30th of the third year. Your initial certification must be used to gain employment at a county board of education within the first year of issuance or it becomes invalid. (Policy 5202 ~ 11.5.1.A.)